Monday, October 5, 2009

Playing race card stacks deck against legitimate criticisms. by Dottie Fahey

October 3, 2009
Boston Globe - Letter to the Editor

RE “RACE and Obama’s critics’’ (Letters, Sept. 24): As of today, I think this is still the United States of America. I do have the right to criticize the Congress or the president and not be called a racist. Because I may not like how Congress is trying to shove the health care bill, cap and trade, and bank and car industry takeovers down my throat, the Constitution gives me the right to speak out and voice my concerns. The town-hall meetings and tea parties are my right, or is it only the left that can do this?

Democrats in Congress are resistant to putting the health care bill on the Internet so that it could be viewed by the public. Does this request make us racists according to Jimmy Carter? Representative John Conyers Jr. admits he doesn’t read bills he signs. Are we racist because we want congressmen to read the bills that will greatly affect our lives?

President Obama was elected in this white-majority country - does that mean that those who did not vote for him are racist? When people shout the complaint of “racist,’’ it means you cannot have an intelligent debate about issues that are of great concern to many Americans.

No comments: